Maternity Care and Family Planning
Starting a family can be both exciting and nerve-wracking! You want to ensure that you have fully prepared for this life-changing step to try and minimise the stress that can accompany this experience. At Sunnybank Hills Family Practice, we offer a vast variety of services that will make this journey as seamless and informative as possible by providing healthcare and medical advice that will assist you in preparing for each step needed during this time while coinciding with your situation.
Birth Control | Contraception
Due to the wide range of contraception options available, it can be unclear as to which method best applies to you, your health, lifestyle and circumstances. To make an informative decision that best suits you, come and see us or your local GP to get the prescription.
Some of the contraception options available are:
- Implanon (implantable rod) insertion and removal: a rod that is surgically inserted in a woman’s upper arm (under local anaesthetic), which is replaceable in 5 years. It is a hormonal method of birth control to regulate or stop ovulation and prevent pregnancy. The doctor will prescribe you the Implanon, which you will then purchase from the pharmacy and have inserted the same day if required. This procedure is bulkbilled, except for the purchasing for the Implanon. This procedure can be performed by either Dr. Mario Soteriou or Dr. Azima Portelli.
- Mirena insertion ($70): This is a hormonal intrauterine device. It is a T-shaped plastic device that slowly releases progestin (birth control hormone) into the uterus. It is up to 99% effective in controlling pregnancy and recommended for women who have had a child. This procedure takes approximately 20-30 minutes where the device is placed into the uterus with a string attached at the end that is trimmed and needs to be monitored on a regular basis to ensure correct placement. This procedure is currently performed by Dr. Azima Portelli.
- Mirena removal (No Charge -Bulkbilled): The intrauterine device lasts up to 5 years and can be removed anytime the patient desires to conceive. Removal normally takes 10 minutes to perform where the doctor pulls out the string that is attached to the device.
- Male Sterilization (Vasectomy = $500): This form of contraception is permanent and a surgical procedure done under local anaesthetic that takes approximately 15 minutes. This procedure is only performed by Dr. Mario Soteriou. For more information, please come in and see the doctor.
- Prescribed Pills: Please see your doctor for further advice and medical guidance best suited to your lifestyle and health requirements.
Maternity Care | Antenatal
Maternity care assists with ensuring that you and your baby are healthy throughout the course of your pregnancy. Therefore, it is essential to have antenatal care during your pregnancy, including being up-to-date with your vitamins and vaccinations, particularly Adecel (whooping cough), which should be given from 28 weeks. However, antenatal care may depend on your health circumstances in which you will possibly be referred to a specialist accordingly.
At Sunnybank Hills Family Practice, we know what is the best care for you and your baby’s needs with many effective ways that are available to assist you in your pregnancy. Make an appointment in our clinic today to make this journey easier for you and your family.
Postnatal Care | to assist with mother aftercare and baby checks
We invite you to see a doctor anytime postnatal for a check-up with your doctors for yourself and your baby to make sure that your baby is within the normal range of development, i.e. measurements. Also, postnatal care assists in checking that you’re healing correctly physically and mentally and are receiving the best nutritional advice to ensure the continued health of both mother and child.
Medication Termination (MTOP)
Medical abortion is the use of a drug to assist in the termination of a pregnancy through the use of a pill called mifepristone, otherwise known as RU486, which is the most effective drug available for this process.
Mifepristone is a pill that blocks the hormone progesterone, which is needed to maintain a pregnancy, and has been safely used by many women worldwide. This pill is only available in Australia for pregnancy terminations that are less than 9 weeks gestation. If you are under 9 weeks and feel comfortable having an induced miscarriage at home caused by the pill, would like to avoid a surgical method and are happy to travel to our clinic, then this medication abortion may be the best solution for you.
When making an appointment with us for a medication termination, please ensure you do the following:
- Have all recent pathology results that indication your blood count and how many weeks you are.
- Have the results of your recent ultrasound that is known as a dating scan, which indicates how far along in your pregnancy you are to determine if you are eligible for a medication termination.
- When making the appointment, notify reception that you are booking a MTOP so that the right time slot is allocated for you to ensure that you receive maximum time with the doctor who will discuss the process, what to expect and the medication in more detail.
If you do not have any of the abovementioned pathology and ultrasound, please either make an appointment with your local GP or our clinic so that the right referrals can be given to. If referring a patient, please ensure that the patient brings most recent pathology report (with Blood Count) and ultrasound (dating scan). If the patient has neither of these documentations, then they must be referred accordingly otherwise they will not be eligible to receive the MTOP.
Cost: Medical TOP Medicare Card Concession: $310.00; Medical TOP Medicare Card no concession: $580.00; Medical TOP NO Medicare card: $980.00
Home pregnancy tests may not always be accurate, which is why it is always best to be checked by your GP who can confirm your pregnancy through a medical pregnancy test and/or pathology results. If you suspect that you are pregnant, it is essential to be seen immediately by your GP so that the correct referrals and care for you and your baby are underway.
Cost: All consults and pregnancy tests are bulkbilled.